Mellie Stabler Professional Development Scholarships

Scholarship Application | Scholarship Final Report


Each calendar year, Heritage Craft Center of the Eastern Panhandle awards two professional development scholarships with a maximum value of $500 each in honor of its founder, Mellie Stabler. The following policies govern the scholarship program.

1. Any Heritage Craft Center member in good standing who has not received a Stabler Scholarship in the past 2 years is eligible to receive the award.

2. Professional development is defined as enhancing a knowledge or skill related to the current artisan discipline or learning a new artisan skill. This includes business management and technology skills which allow an artisan to become more successful economically.

3. Any activity which contributes to professional development, as defined above, is eligible for funding. Funding is not limited to formal classroom instruction.

4. Scholarship funds may be used for any professional development purpose (tuition, books, class materials, travel associated with professional development, purchase of equipment/software, etc.).

5. Scholarship funds may be used for a maximum of 75% of the cost of the proposed project. Recipients will provide the remaining 25% from other sources.

6. Winners will be selected annually by the Heritage Craft Center Jurying Committee using the following criteria:


5 points – 1–2 years as a Heritage member
10 points – 3 or more years as a Heritage member
5 points – 1-2 years as an instructor of a Heritage class
10 points – 3 or more years as an instructor of a Heritage class
5 points – Instructor of 1-2 Heritage class subjects
10 points – Instructor of 3 or more Heritage class subjects
5 points -- Volunteer service at three Heritage Craft Center community service events or support functions.
10 points – Volunteer credit at six or more Heritage Craft Center community service events or support functions.
5 points -- 100 or more hours of volunteer service in support of Heritage functions within the past year.
10 points – 200 or more hours of volunteer service in support of Heritage functions within the past year. If two or more applications receive the same score, the scholarship(s) will be awarded in order of the application submission date.


7. Within 30 calendar days of completion of the funded activity, scholarship recipients will submit to Heritage Craft Center written documentation of completion (receipts, certificate of completion, etc.) and a brief written report explaining whether the objectives of the professional development project were achieved.